The Battle That Changed History
"Based on the best Russian, German, British and American sources, it is by far the most readable, informative, and cogent book on that epochal battle." Albert Resis
"well written...well organised...packed with information. It gives readers a sound understanding of this great battle and moves the debate forwar." Contemporary Review
Geoffrey Roberts is a Soviet and World War Two specialist, and has written both general and specific histories of Russia.
A chronology of the Battle of Stalingrad 1942-3
1. Introduction: battle of the century
2. War of annihilation: the German campaign in Russia, 1941-2
3. Hitler's quest for oil: the road to Stalingrad, April-August 1942
4. State of siege: Stalingrad, September-October 1942
5. Red gods of war: soviet victories, German defeats, November 1942-February 1943
6. Aftermath: revenge and retribution on the road to Berlin, 1943-5
7. The Stalingrad story: the battle that history changed, 1945-2000
8. Conclusion: the battle that changed history?