- Häftad (Paperback / softback)
- Antal sidor
- Zhao, Sumin
- black and white 21 Tables 8 Line drawings, black and white 30 Halftones black and white
- 8 Line drawings, black and white; 30 Halftones, black and white; 21 Tables, black and white
- 229 x 152 x 15 mm
- Antal komponenter
- 23:B&W 6 x 9 in or 229 x 152 mm Perfect Bound on White w/Gloss Lam
- 386 g
Du kanske gillar
Yuval Noah HarariHäftad
All About Love
Critical Multimodal Studies of Popular Discourse614
Studies of multimodality have significantly advanced our understanding of the potential of different semiotic resources-verbal, visual, aural, and kinetic-to make meaning and allow people to achieve various social purposes such as persuading, entertaining, and explaining. Yet little is known about the role that individual nonverbal resources and their interaction with language and with each other play in concealing and supporting, or drawing attention to and subverting, social boundaries and inequality, political or commercial agendas. This volume brings together contributions by rominent and emerging scholars that address this gap through the critical analysis of multimodality in popular culture texts and semiotic practices. It connects multimodal analysis to critical discourse analysis, demonstrating the value of different approaches to multimodality for building a better understanding of critical issues of central interest to discourse analysis, semiotics, applied linguistics, education, cultural and media studies.
- Skickas inom 10-15 vardagar.
- Gratis frakt inom Sverige över 199 kr för privatpersoner.
KundrecensionerHar du läst boken? Sätt ditt betyg »
Fler böcker av författarna
Sumin Zhao, Emilia Djonov, Anders Bjoerkvall, Morten Boeriis
As a founder and leading figure in multimodality and social semiotics, Theo van Leuween has made significant contributions to a variety of research fields, including discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, communication and media studies, education,...
Emilia Djonov is a Lecturer in multimodality and multiliteracies at the Institute of Early Childhood, Macquarie University, Australia Sumin Zhao is Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow at University of Technology, Sydney, Australia.
1. From multimodal to critical multimodal studies through popular discourse Emilia Djonov & Sumin Zhao Part I: Methodological and theoretical challenges 2. Revisiting cinematic authorship: A multimodal approach Chiaoi Tseng & John A. Bateman 3. The television title sequence: A visual analysis of Flight of the Conchords Monika Bednarek 4. The strategic use of the visual mode in advertising metaphors Charles Forceville 5. Japanese street fashion for young people: A multimodal digital humanities approach for identifying socio-cultural patterns and trends Alexey Podlasov & Kay L. O'Halloran Part II: Key issues in contemporary popular culture 6. Multimodal constructions of the nation: How China's music-entertainment television has incorporated Macau into the national fold Lauren Gorfinkel 7. A multimodal analysis of the environment beat in a music video Carmen Daniela Maier & Judith Leah Cross 8. Representations of the institutional 'self' in web-based business news discourse Sabine Tan 9. Selling the 'indie taste': A social semiotic analysis of frankie magazine Sumin Zhao 10. From popularization to marketization: The hypermodal nucleus in institutional science news Yiqiong Zhang & Kay L. O'Halloran Part III: New audienceship and authorship in popular discourse 11. Telling a different story: Stance in verbal-visual displays in the news Dorothy Economou 12. Point of view in picture books and animated film adaptations: Informing critical multimodal comprehension and composition pedagogy Len Unsworth 13. Points of difference: Intermodal complementarity and social critical literacy in children's multimodal texts Angela Thomas 14. Bullet points, new writing, and the marketization of public discourse: A critical multimodal perspective Emilia Djonov & Theo Van Leeuwen 15. Towards a semiotics of listening Theo Van Leeuwen